Home » ENTERTAINMENT » Tamil Nadu Theatres’ Strike Big Hit to GST, 10 Lakh Livelihoods at Stake
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi pays tributes to the mortal remains of Ms. J. Jayalalithaa, in Chennai on December 06, 2016.

Tamil Nadu Theatres’ Strike Big Hit to GST, 10 Lakh Livelihoods at Stake

With both Tamil Nadu state and centre vying for share in Goods and Services Tax (GST) at abnormal rates of 30% by the state and 28 % by the Centre, theatre owners have finally called it a day to protest and prepare for a long shut-down of about 1,000 cinema halls across the state.

Announcing the decision, Tamil Nadu Cinema Theatre Owners Federation president Abirami Ramanathan on Sunday evening said the decision on double taxation was forced upon them unilaterally without prior consultations. “A GO was passed on Friday, declaring that in addition to GST, the state will levy 30% entertainment tax which will be collected by local bodies,” Ramanathan said.

The move has sent producers and cinema industry scurrying for cover as it involes huge losses for more than 10 recently released films, especially ‘Ivan Thanthiran’ released on Friday the last. It director R. Kannan said the film will suffer major loss.

“They announced the strike without prior notice,” he said and wondered, “How will I pay back loans I took to make this film?” Tamil Films Producers Council president Vishal has appealed for at least a week’s notice but the theatre owners association has gone ahead with the strike as even one week would mean compliance that will be forced upon them eventually.

Tamil Nadu is the only state in the country that has imposed a separate tax in addition to GST, and the total tax now comes to 68%, leaving only 32% for theatre owners, who are already facing extinction in a fiercely competitive and TV-dominated cinem industry.

More than that, 10 lakh people will lose their jobs and livelihood, which they say would not have happened had late CM J.Jayalalithaa been alive. Jayalalithaa was from the Tamil film industry before she entered politics.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Check Also

How Pelli Choopulu TV show contestants cheer Pradeep Manchiraju with gifts and words

Suma-hosted “Pelli Choopulu” TV show on Maa TV kicked off on Sunday with well-known anchor ...

‘Pelli Choopulu’ Telugu TV show kicks off; Pradeep Manchiraju selects Dubai girl

As the successful Bigg Boss Telugu 2 show has come to end, Maa TV has ...

Bharat Ane Nenu enters second day $2 million club in US market, after Bahubali 2

Mahesh Babu-starrer ‘Bharat Ane Nenu’ has become the fastest Telugu movie to enter the $2 ...

error: Content is protected !!