A Festival of India is being organized in Senegal from 26 January to 28 February, 2017 to showcase diverse Indian culture, including classical and folk dance, music and an exhibition on Mahatma Gandhi.
The following events will be held in the Senegal capital City of Dakar:
· Kathak Dance by Richa Jain and Group from 27-29 January, 2017.
· Bharatnatyam Dance by Priya Venkataraman and Group from 1-3 February, 2017.
· Music (Bollywood) by Melody Magic – Deepak Mehta & group from 6-8 February, 2017
· Rajasthani Folk Music and Dance by Anita Ordia and Group from 11-13 February, 2017
· Music (Vocal) by Dhananjay Kaul and Group from 16-18 February, 2017
· Exhibition on Mahatma Gandhi from 30 January – 28 February, 2017.
Indian culture, especially the dance and music are popular among the people of Senegal, which is home to about 40 India-friendship associations whose members are the local people who conduct cultural programmes involving Classical and even Bollywood music on important occasions, with active support from the Indian Mission.
Diplomatic ties between India and Senegal were established in 1962 and both countries enjoy friendly bilateral relations sharing common values such as democracy and secularism. They are both members of the Non-Aligned Movement and G-15.
India has been a key partner of Senegal in the field of urban transport, agriculture, rural electrification, human resource development and information technology with more than 300 Indians working in several companies set up here.